With Halloween just a few weeks away, we know parents and kids are busy preparing for a night full of trick-or-treating, costumes and fun. At DCAC, we want Halloween to be as fun, and safe, as possible. Here are our safety tips to make sure your little ones have a great night!
- Choose costumes that are brightly colored and visible to any drivers.
- Use reflective tape to decorate costumes or bags to increase visibility.
- Make sure your child's costume is the right size to avoid tripping or falling.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without supervision.
- If children are old enough to go without supervision, consider giving them a cellphone and make sure they are with a group.
- Plan a trick-or-treat route in advance, so that you know where older children will be at all times.
- Have children carry a flashlight or glow sticks to make them more visible to cars.
- Tell your children to always walk on sidewalks or paths.
- Teach your children not to accept or eat anything that is not commercially wrapped.
- Inspect all of your child's treats before they eat them.
- Remove all choking hazards from treat bags.
- Consider packing your child a goodie bag with your own candy, so that they are not tempted to eat the candy they collect before you inspect it.
For more safety tips, please click here.
Happy Halloween, Everyone!